Advice on adding class="reftest-wait" for tests with @font-face ; Ken Lunde's CSS[H|F]WOrientationTest.otf fonts

Gérard Talbot-3
Hello,

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-vrl-100.html

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-vrl-100-ref.html

When I load the test (with the cache cleared), it takes on average 5-7
seconds for the browser to fetch the font and then load it in the
rendering engine (Gecko engine). If both test and reftest are loaded
simultaneously, then such fetching and loading times should be the same
for both files. So, I wonder if I should add class="reftest-wait"
attribute into the document root element and into the reference file too
and then remove it via script, like the documentation [1] states.

Q1: Should I add class="reftest-wait" attribute into the document root
element and into the reference file too and then remove it via script?

And if I add class="reftest-wait" attribute into the document root
element for the text-orientation-mixed-vrl-100 test, then shouldn't I
assume that the font will be in the cache for the following tests (and
associated reference files) also using the @font-face font:
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-vlr-100.html
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-upright-vrl-100.html
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-upright-vlr-100.html

Q2: Should I assume the font will be in the cache for the following
tests, therefore I would not need to add class="reftest-wait" attribute
into the document root element?

[1]: Writing Reftests: Controlling When Comparison Occurs
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/reftests.html#controlling-when-comparison-occurs

- - - - - - -

I deeply believe and am convinced that we should just add
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/CSSHWOrientationTest.otf
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/CSSHWOrientationTest.otf
http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
into that special "Fonts for CSS Testing" package
https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/
and avoid all these reftest-wait trick. I think this is more convenient,
it creates cleaner, clearer tests too.

Originally, the reftest-wait trick was aiming at overcoming delay and
related load events in tests involving some kind of DOM manipulations
and only for that purpose.

Comments, feedback, ideas welcome.

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

Re: Advice on adding class="reftest-wait" for tests with @font-face ; Ken Lunde's CSS[H|F]WOrientationTest.otf fonts

Chris Lilley
Hello Gérard,

> I deeply believe and am convinced that we should just add
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/CSSHWOrientationTest.otf
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/CSSHWOrientationTest.otf
> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
> into that special "Fonts for CSS Testing" package
> https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/
> and avoid all these reftest-wait trick. I think this is more convenient,
> it creates cleaner, clearer tests too.

I agree that would be simpler and cleaner.

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley

Le 2016-01-19 20:58, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> I deeply believe and am convinced that we should just add
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/CSSHWOrientationTest.otf
> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/support/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/CSSHWOrientationTest.otf
> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/adobe-fonts/CSSFWOrientationTest.otf
> into that special "Fonts for CSS Testing" package
> https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/
> and avoid all these reftest-wait trick. I think this is more
> convenient, it creates cleaner, clearer tests too.

I see other fonts that I would add, include into that special "Fonts for
CSS Testing" package:

tcu-font.otf or tcu-font.ttf which is in several text-combine-upright
tests in the form of tcu-font.woff.

Eg

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-value-digits2-001.htm

I've looked at
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/test-plan/req-tcu-font.html
and elsewhere such font is not available.

Masataka Yakura,
where can we find tcu-font.otf or tcu-font.ttf . We would need to
filename-rename it so that it would have the string "CSS" and "test" or
"Test" in its filename.

Something like
csstest-tcu.ttf
or
csstest-text-combine-upright.ttf

- - - - - - - - - -

Deseret font: we should try to find a free license/open source otf or
ttf font made for deseret and provide it in that special "Fonts for CSS
Testing" package for the 5 tests

http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/name/text-transform/content/deseret/

Richard Ishida,

fonts/NotoSansDeseret-Regular.ttf
is NOT available, NOT found anywhere inside

http://test.csswg.org/

or inside

http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/

This affects 3 of your text-transform tests.

- - - - - - - - -

The general rule is that we should try to help testing tests that
require a special font or rare font by offering a suitable font
(license-wise) in that special "Fonts for CSS Testing" package.

Providing fonts for all tests at www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2013Feb/0043.html

Gérard
--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

NotoSansDeseret-Regular.ttf and 5 text-transform tests involving Deseret font

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2016-01-22 13:56, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> Deseret font: we should try to find a free license/open source otf or
> ttf font made for deseret and provide it in that special "Fonts for
> CSS Testing" package for the 5 tests
>
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/name/text-transform/content/deseret/
>
> Richard Ishida,
>
> fonts/NotoSansDeseret-Regular.ttf
> is NOT available, NOT found anywhere inside
>
> http://test.csswg.org/
>
> or inside
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/
>
> This affects 3 of your text-transform tests.

CSS Test: text-transform - Deseret, uppercase
http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/text/text-transform-bicameral-021.xht

CSS Test: text-transform - Deseret, lowercase
http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/text/text-transform-bicameral-022.xht

CSS3 Text, text transform: Deseret, uppercase
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-text-3/text-transform/text-transform-upperlower-028.html

CSS3 Text, text transform: Deseret, lowercase
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-text-3/text-transform/text-transform-upperlower-029.html

CSS3 Text, text transform: capitalize, Deseret
http://test.csswg.org/source/css-text-3/text-transform/text-transform-capitalize-028.html

Richard, I finally found the NotoSansDeseret-Regular.ttf , 9.9
Kilo-bytes (10112 bytes) from

http://googlefontdirectory.googlecode.com/hg/apache/notosansdeseret/

and it has an Apache 2 license which states:

"
Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive,
no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce,
prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform,
sublicense, and distribute the Work and such Derivative Works in Source
or Object form.
"

and I added it in

http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/