Adding language metadata on code elements

Adding language metadata on code elements

Kevin Sweeney
The current draft states:

“Although there is no formal way to indicate the language of computer code being marked up, authors who wish to mark code elements with the language used, e.g. so that syntax highlighting scripts can use the right rules, may do so by adding a class prefixed with "language-" to the element.”

I was wondering why this is the preferred way over a data attribute such as "data-langauge"? Is this bug-worthy or is there already a discussion in the archive that I overlooked?

-Kevin

Re: Adding language metadata on code elements

Ian Hickson
On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Kevin Sweeney wrote:

> The current draft states:
>
> “Although there is no formal way to indicate the language of computer
> code being marked up, authors who wish to mark code
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/text-level-semantics.html#the-code-element)
> elements with the language used, e.g. so that syntax highlighting
> scripts can use the right rules, may do so by adding a class prefixed
> with "language-" to the element.”
>
> I was wondering why this is the preferred way over a data attribute such
> as "data-langauge"? Is this bug-worthy or is there already a discussion
> in the archive that I overlooked?
data-language="" would be site-specific. The idea of using language-* is
that it can be a convention shared amongst many sites.