Access to DUL.owl ontology

Threaded

Access to DUL.owl ontology

Sergio José Rodríguez Méndez
Hello.

Currently, I'm working on an ontology definition aligned to Semantic Sensor Network Ontology (SSN), which, in turn, is aligned to the Dolce Ultra-Lite upper ontology.

One can see that in the SSN ontology spec, the DUL IRI namespace is:
http://www.loa-cnr.it/ontologies/DUL.owl

However, it seems that this "link is broken", due that the IRI doesn't point the the proper DUL.owl definition.

I'm trying to see/generate a data model visualization of SSN via the tool WebVOWL (Web-based Visualization of Ontologies).

For this, I'm following this IRI:

However, it fails due that it cannot find/retrieve DUL's definition:
{
Could not load imported ontology: <http://www.loa-cnr.it/ontologies/DUL.owl> Cause: Problem parsing http://www.loa-cnr.it/ontologies/DUL.owl
Could not parse ontology.
}

Questions:
  • Is there any standard way to handle this "broken link" when aligning to upper ontologies?
  • Should DUL.owl be fixed?
  • Should SSN address this situation "somehow"?
  • If I'm aligning to SSN, how I should address this situation?
Thank you for your feedback.

/$¡rm
Best regards,

Sergio José Rodríguez Méndez (羅士豪)
Pervasive Embedded Technologies Laboratory (PET Lab)
Computer Science Department
National Chiao Tung University
Threaded

Re: Access to DUL.owl ontology

Krzysztof Janowicz-2
Hi,

Yes, this is a known issue. You can fine DUL at http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dul/DUL.owl .

Should SSN address this situation "somehow"?

It will.

Best,
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

4830 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: [hidden email]
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/
Threaded

Re: Access to DUL.owl ontology

Sergio José Rodríguez Méndez
Thank you for your kind reply.

/$¡rm
Best regards,

Sergio José Rodríguez Méndez (羅士豪) [Student ID. 0086048]

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Krzysztof Janowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Yes, this is a known issue. You can fine DUL at http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dul/DUL.owl .

Should SSN address this situation "somehow"?

It will.

Best,
Krzysztof

Threaded

Re: Access to DUL.owl ontology

Omar BENHAMID

Hello,

I had the same issue some weeks ago. I downloaded it from the new site of the LOA lab here : http://www.loa.istc.cnr.it/ontologies/DUL.owl

Now, the issue could be solved using redirection services like http://purl.org/ , still it will be as reliable as the purl.org service is ...

Ain't this a "Design" issue of Linked Data ? As IRI of a given resource should be an http URL that points to a description of the ressource and the URL is never garenteed to last forever ?

Omar

Le 17.08.2016 19:47, Sergio José Rodríguez Méndez a écrit :

Thank you for your kind reply.

/$¡rm
Best regards,

Sergio José Rodríguez Méndez (羅士豪) [Student ID. 0086048]
Pervasive Embedded Technologies Laboratory (PET Lab)
Computer Science Department
National Chiao Tung University

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Krzysztof Janowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Yes, this is a known issue. You can fine DUL at http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dul/DUL.owl .

Should SSN address this situation "somehow"?
It will.

Best,
Krzysztof

--