A New Attribute For The Font Tag In HTML 5

A New Attribute For The Font Tag In HTML 5

Jace Voracek
I have recently been thinking of ways to contribute to the HTML 5.0 Project because I have new ideas to create a better World Wide Web, and my most recent desire for 5.0 is related to HTML Fonts. The problem I noticed occurs when some types of computer operating systems or Web browsers receive the NULL Square characters that occasionally appear with unfamiliar fonts or that computers by default replace the font with another font. I would like for there to be a way to load fonts from the internet into a web page from a server. For example, we could create an attribute to load the font from a server and display it on the web page, therefore the user is not required to have the font saved to his/her computer.

For this example, I use FONTSRC as an attribute. This attribute may be named whatever we decide to name it.

<FONT FONTSRC="http://WebsiteUsedAsAnExample.Org/FontFolderLocation/UnfamiliarFont.TTF">
(There is a code listed above this line as an example. If the code executed in your browser and you cannot see it, click on the URL below)
http://jace-place.com/Documents/Fonts.png

I hope I was able to explain the point I was trying to make. This attribute would be able to allow fonts to load and function properly onto any operating system or Web browser. I do not currently have a public account registered with W3C, however I would like this to be an addition to the project. If anyone would be able to help me make this a HTML 5.0 feature, I would be grateful. Please respond with your feedback.

_________________________________
Jace Voracek

Re: A New Attribute For The Font Tag In HTML 5

David Woolley (E.L)

Jace Voracek wrote:
>   I have recently been thinking of ways to contribute to the HTML 5.0
> Project because I have new ideas to create a better World Wide Web, and
> my most recent desire for 5.0 is related to HTML Fonts. The problem I
> noticed occurs when some types of computer operating systems or Web
> browsers receive the NULL Square characters that occasionally appear

Missing glyph.  It is font dependant.  Incidentally, Mozilla based
browsers, on Linux, show a box with the Unicode code.

> with unfamiliar fonts or that computers by default replace the font with
> another font. I would like for there to be a way to load fonts from the
> internet into a web page from a server. For example, we could create an

Wrong list.  Font downloading has been extensively discussed on
[hidden email] over the last fortnight.  The big problem is over
copyright enforcement, or lack of it.  Note that IE has supported
downloadable fonts for more than half a decade.

> attribute to load the font from a server and display it on the web page,
> therefore the user is not required to have the font saved to his/her
> computer.
>
> For this example, I use FONTSRC as an attribute. This attribute may be
> named whatever we decide to name it.
>
> <FONT

HTML 5 does lots of things that purists dislike, but I suspect even they
accept that font *elements* are only there for legacy reasons.  Styling
should be done with style sheets; hence the choice of list to discuss this.

> FONTSRC="http://WebsiteUsedAsAnExample.Org/FontFolderLocation/UnfamiliarFont.TTF">

There was almost a consensus that deep linking fonts from third parties
is likely to be least acceptable to both font vendors and those third
parties.

Incidentally, the HTML5 people hang on on html-public, not on www-html.

--
David Woolley