3rd Call: Full Potential: Who's counting?

3rd Call: Full Potential: Who's counting?

Jonathan Chetwynd
Ian,

What action has been taken in the past 26 months to commission an external review?

Have any appropriate metrics been considered, developed or agreed?

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 22:20 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
Ian,

I am concerned because it is apparent that while W3C may successfully
be meeting the needs of its members, it is less clear that it is
meeting it's published objectives.

If W3C is not to be accountable to any group other than its members,
could this be stated more clearly in its objectives, which currently
appear to offer a far wider responsibility with more ambitious goals?

You had written to me suggesting that an external review was being
discussed at that time.

It was discussed but we discuss so many things that it is difficult
to do all of them. I still think it's a good idea.

_Ian

regards

my logo
Jonathan Chetwynd

[hidden email]
http://www.openicon.org/

+44 (0) 20 7978 1764

On 17 Jul 2008, at 21:39, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 21:22 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
Ian

What action has been taken in the past nine months to commission an
external review?

None, to my knowledge.

_ Ian

regards

my logo
Jonathan Chetwynd

[hidden email]
http://www.openicon.org/

+44 (0) 20 7978 1764

Full Potential: Who's counting?

Ian,

Who is tasked with measuring and reporting on how or indeed whether
W3C is fulfilling it's stated objective?

Is this an external and independent body?

Where are their reports published?

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

http://www.w3.org/1998/02/Potential.html
The first phase of the Web is human communication though shared
knowledge.

The Consortium exists as a place for those companies for whom the Web
is essential to meet and agree on the common underpinnings that will
allow everyone to go forward.

http://www.w3.org/
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) develops interoperable
technologies (specifications, guidelines, software, and tools) to lead
the Web to its full potential.

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/org.html#public
W3C Members include vendors of technology products and services,
content providers, corporate users, research laboratories, standards
bodies, and governments, all of whom work to reach consensus on a
direction for the Web.

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Points/
W3C's mission is to lead the Web to its full potential, which it does
by developing technologies (specifications, guidelines, software, and
tools) that will create a forum for information, commerce,
inspiration, independent thought, and collective understanding.

Today this universe benefits society by enabling new forms of human
communication and opportunities to share knowledge. One of W3C's
primary goals is to make these benefits available to all people,
whatever their hardware, software, network infrastructure, native
language, culture, geographical location, or physical or mental
ability.

--
Ian Jacobs ([hidden email])   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

Ian Jacobs ([hidden email])   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

Re: 3rd Call: Full Potential: Who's counting?

Ian Jacobs-2

On 3 Jan 2010, at 9:28 AM, ~:'' ありがとうございました wrote:

> Ian,
>
> What action has been taken in the past 26 months to commission an
> external review?
>
> Have any appropriate metrics been considered, developed or agreed?

Hello Jonathan,

We have not commissioned an external review. Although the suggestion
is reasonable, we have not made this a priority. You may continue to
suggest that we do so, and I will let you know if we allocate
resources to doing so.

  _ Ian